1. Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sinchayee Yojana (PMKSY) is amalgamation of various schemes viz.
a. Accelerated Irrigation Benefits Programme (AIBP),
b. PMKSY –Har Khet Ko Pani (HKKP) including Command Area Development (CAD),
c. Surface Minor Irrigation (SMI) and Repair, Renovation and Restoration (RRR) of Water Bodies [Implemented by MoWR, RD & GR],
d. PMKSY – Per Drop More Crop (PDMC) [Implemented by Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare] and
e. PMKSY – Watershed Development (WD) [Implemented by Department of Land Resources].
2. The major objective of PMKSY is to
a. achieve convergence of investments in irrigation at the field level,
b. expand cultivable area under assured irrigation,
c. improve on-farm water use efficiency to reduce wastage of water,
d. enhance the adoption of precision-irrigation and other water saving technologies (More crop per drop),
e. enhance recharge of aquifers and introduce sustainable water conservation practices by exploring the feasibility of reusing treated municipal waste water for peri-urban agriculture and
f. attract greater private investment in precision irrigation system.
3. The scheme will be implemented by Ministries of Agriculture, Water Resources and Rural Development.
4. Ministry of Rural Development is to mainly undertake
a. rain water conservation,
b. construction of farm pond,
c. water harvesting structures,
d. small check dams and contour bunding etc.
5. MoWR, RD &GR, is to undertake various
a. measures for creation of assured irrigation source,
b. construction of diversion canals, field channels, water diversion/lift irrigation, including development of water distribution systems.
6. Ministry of Agriculture will
a. promote efficient water conveyance and precision water application devices like drips, sprinklers, pivots, rain-guns in the farm “(Jal Sinchan)”,
b. construction of micro-irrigation structures to supplement source creation activities,
c. extension activities for promotion of scientific moisture conservation and agronomic measures
7. Programme architecture of PMKSY will be to adopt a ‘decentralized State level planning and projectised execution’ structure that will allow States to draw up their own irrigation development plans based on District Irrigation Plan (DIP) and State Irrigation Plan (SIP).
8. It will be operative as convergence platform for all water sector activities including
a. drinking water & sanitation,
c. application of science & technology etc. through comprehensive plan.
9. State Level Sanctioning Committee (SLSC) chaired by the Chief Secretary of the State will be vested with the authority to oversee its implementation and sanction projects.
10. The programme will be supervised and monitored by an Inter-Ministerial National Steering Committee (NSC) will be constituted under the Chairmanship of Prime Minister with Union Ministers from concerned Ministries.
11. A National Executive Committee (NEC) will be constituted under the Chairmanship of Vice Chairman, NITI Aayog to oversee
a. programme implementation,
b. allocation of resources,
c. inter-ministerial coordination,
d. monitoring & performance assessment,
e. addressing administrative issues etc.