What is Drought?
1. The event that results from lower than normal expected rainfall over a season or period.
1. Shortage of rainfall.
2. The severity of drought is determined by the extent of deviation of rainfall from the average.
3. The frequency of periods of drought has increased due to deforestation and environmental degradation.
1. Crop failure or food shortage leading to large scale starvation and death
2. Affects dairy activities, timber and fisheries
3. Depletion of groundwater
4. Increases energy consumption for pumping water from deep aquifers
5. Reduces energy production in hydro-electric power plants
6. Loss of biodiversity; and reduced landscape quality
7. Causes health problems, increased poverty, reduced quality of life and social unrest leading to migration