Autonomous administrative divisions of India
- 1Bodoland Territorial Council
- 2Dima Hasao Autonomous District Council
- 3Karbi Anglong Autonomous District Council
- 1Sadar Hills Autonomous District Council
3 Jammu and Kashmir
- 1Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council, Kargil
- 2Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council, Leh
- 1Garo Hills Autonomous District Council
- 2Jaintia Hills Autonomous District Council
- 3Khasi Hills Autonomous District Council
- 1Chakma Autonomous District Council
- 2Lai Autonomous District Council
- 3Mara Autonomous District Council
- 1Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council
7 West Bengal
- 1Gorkhaland Territorial Administration
8 De facto autonomous
- 1North Sentinel Island
- The Union Cabinet approved a constitutional amendment to increase the financial and executive powers of the 10 autonomous councils in the Sixth Schedule areas of the northeast.
- The amendment would impact a population of about 1 crore tribals living in Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura and Mizoram.
Autonomous District Council:
- As per the Sixth Schedule, the four states viz. Assam, Meghalaya, Tripura and Mizoram contain the Tribal Areas which are technically different from the Scheduled Areas.
- Each district is an autonomous district and Governor can modify / divide the boundaries of the said Tribal areas by notification.
- Currently, there are ten such Councils in the region.
Details of the proposed amendment:
- As per the proposed amendment, at least one third of the seats would be reserved for women in the village and municipal councils in the Sixth Schedule areas of Assam, Mizoram and Tripura.
- The amendment provides transfer of additional 30 subjects including departments of Public Works, Forests, Public Health Engineering, Health and Family Welfare, Urban Development and Food and Civil Supply to Autonomous Territorial Council in Assam.
- This will significantly improve the financial resources and powers of the autonomous district’s councils in Assam, Meghalaya, Mizoram and Tripura.
- Thus, it will fulfil the long-standing aspirations of the tribal population in these North-eastern States.
- It will substantially enhance the funds available to these local government institutions for undertaking development works in these tribal areas.
- The proposed amendments provide for elected village municipal councils, ensuring democracy at the grass-roots level.
- The State Election Commissions would hold elections to the autonomous councils, village and municipal councils in the areas of Assam, Mizoram and Tripura.
- There would be a provision for anti-defection too.