- RailTel Corporation of India Ltd. is a “Miniratna” (public sector) enterprise of Government of India focusing on providing broadband and VPN services.
- RailTel was formed in September 2000 with the objective of creating nationwide broadband, telecom and multimedia network, to modernize train control operation and safety system of Indian Railways.
- RailTel’s network passes through around 5,000 stations across the country, covering all major commercial centres.
Wi-Fi and WiMax
- RailTel, in collaboration with Google, provides free Wi-Fi access at selected railways stations across India.
- Google chose railway stations as the location to provide free Wi-Fi because stations have access to reliable power supply and fibre provided by RailTel, and because the passengers at a station come from all demographics of India.
- The free Wi-Fi service was launched at Mumbai Central railway station in January 2016.
- In September 2016, Google announced a public Wi-Fi initiative called Google Station. Google plans to expand free Wi-Fi coverage under the initiative to locations such as cafes and malls across India, and later expand worldwide.
- In June 2018, Google announced that it’s Free Wi-Fi project is now powering 400 Indian railway stations. As a result, there are now more than 8 million people accessing the internet each month via the project.
- Based on its nationwide fibre network, RailTel offers various bandwidth intensive application to its customers.
- One such initiative is RailWire, a joint venture with MSOs to provide Voice, Video and Multimedia access on a single wire at a customer’s home or office.
- RailWire is a retail Broadband initiative of the RailTel, with a mission to make available “ICT to Common Man” & “Internet, Education and Health Services to Masses”.
- RailTel extends broadband and application services to the masses through the RailWire platform.