1. Shehri Samridhi Utsav, an initiative of Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA),aims to extend the outreach of Deendayal Antyodaya Mission – National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM), to the most vulnerable, showcase its initiatives and facilitate access of Self-Help Group (SHG) members to the other government schemes.
2. Day one of Shehri Samriddhi Utsav began with a series of rallies led by women’s’ SHGs, across the length and breadth of the country.
3. These rallies spread awareness about DAY-NULM in urban poor communities.
4. Job melas and fairs to market the products made by women microentrepreneurs were also organized by many states and will continue over the next two weeks.
5. Through Shehri Samridhi Utsav, SHG members across cities are being linked to national government schemes viz.
a. Swachchh Bharat Mission (U),
b. Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (U),
c. Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana,
d. Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana,
e. Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana,
f. Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Yojana and
g. National Nutrition Mission.
6. Over the next two weeks, several other activities are also being conducted by the states such as adoption of shelters for the homeless by colleges, formation of SHGs of informal sanitation workers, financial inclusion camps, job melas etc.
7. Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana-National Urban Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NULM):
a. To reduce poverty and vulnerability of the urban poor households by enabling them to access gainful self-employment and skilled wage employment opportunities, resulting in an appreciable improvement in their livelihoods on a sustainable basis, through building strong grassroots level institutions of the poor.
b. The mission would aim at providing shelters equipped with essential services to the urban homeless in a phased manner.
c. In addition, the mission would also address livelihood concerns of the urban street vendors by facilitating access to suitable spaces, institutional credit, social security and skills to the urban street vendors for accessing emerging market opportunities.